- Formulate and enforce State environmental protection policies, regulations and standards for sustainability in the state.
- Establish and implement mechanisms for control of desertification, drought, erosion, flood and other natural hazards.
- Demand and review environmental impact assessments and statements for all development projects in the state.
- Demand and review environmental audit reports for existing projects in the state deemed to impact the environment significantly.
- Protect and conserve the environment.
- Prevention of any act of omission or commission with adverse consequences on the environment and generally deal with waste disposal/discharge; solid, liquid or gaseous in the environment and to deal with any violations deemed hazardous to the ecosystem’s environment.
- Protection and sustainable utilization and conservation of forestry resources via scientific forest management practices
- Increase the State forest reserves/stock/forest cover to protect the state’s natural ecosystem from human activity.
- Supervise the local government councils to ensure environmental sanitation and sustainable waste management in rural and urban areas.